Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A sudden wake up call




So today is Wednesday and Mom has been in the hospital since last Thursday. She had been experiencing horrible stomach cramps, and when she went to the ER last week, they told her she would need an operation due to blockage in her stomach. Talk about scary and so unexpected. My mom is the strongest person I know, and she has been going through the recovery process with such a positive attitude. There have been good days and bad days, but today is definitely a good day. I feel like things are going to start looking brighter for her from now on :)

It's funny that to think that just last Wednesday I was going out with my friends with basically no worry in the world. I was so excited for graduation, summer, and the start of a new beginning. My birthday is coming up next Tuesday, and Lauren and I were thinking about going to the OC Greek Festival over the weekend. I was pretty absorbed in my own world - which isn't a bad that, but it can become harmful. I don't consider myself self-centered, but I definitely tend to forget that something can happen at any moment could change priorities and daily routines completely.

Since last Thursday, it's like I don't even care about any of those things. Graduation is coming up, and I thought I would be so excited, but now it just seems like another ordinary day. I'll get dressed up, sit in a chair for a few hours, and then go home. It's something to be proud of for sure, but in the long scheme of things, it doesn't compare to being able to see my mom feeling healthy and able to do her everyday things. My mom is not one to be lazy at all, and it's horrible seeing her in a bed because she never takes a rest. She's always picking up the house, running around doing errands, doing favors for the family....she never stops. Being the only girl at home right now, I've gained a slight understanding of all she does when she's home. I hope that one day I can be just as good of a mother/wife she is to my dad, my brother, and myself.

I've learned so much about myself in the past week. Family has always been the most important thing to me, and after this sudden emergency, I feel like there are many times I've taken it for granted. Knowing my family will always be there is such a good thing, but when that knowledge is put in jeapardy, things change completely. I've always believed that everything happens for a reason, and while I wish my mom never had to have surgery, it happened and it has brought us so much closer as a family (when we were already very close). I didn't think we could get much closer. Also, it made me wake up and realize how extremely valuable every moment is with the people you love. I thank God every day for keeping my mommy safe and helping her throughout her recovery. It's so hard for my family and I to know what she has gone through this past week, however, we know she is so strong and she is the best mommy ever! That in itself is something to celebrate :)

No comments:

Post a Comment